We’ve written extensively about different questions we receive about dental implants from our patients here in San Diego. We’ve taken a look at the safety of dental implants, discussed what you can eat after receiving dental implants, examined the benefits of dental implants, and even presented an e-book that answers all of our most frequently asked questions.
Today we would like to deliver a few interesting facts, presented by the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, about dental implants in order to provide even more education to our fantastic patients.
1. 69% of Americans aged 35-44 have at least one missing tooth.
2. Dental implants trace back to ancient times, with the first implant treatment performed around 600 AD by the Mayans. In this case, tooth-like pieces of shell were hammered into the jaw of a Mayan woman. (yikes)
3. Teeth that have been restored with the use of dental implants cannot get cavities. This is obviously a huge benefit to the treatment.
4. Dental implants are made out of titanium, a metal that provides a very strong and sturdy foundation.
5. Dental implants have been proven safe and effective, and the AAID was established in 1951 to create a body to share best practices and enhance dental implant treatments and outcomes for thousands of patients.
If you’re struggling with missing teeth, please contact our office. We would love to schedule an appointment to talk about how we can help restore your smile and increase your confidence.