Once you have dental implants, you’ll receive a brand new smile that will last for decades, giving you extra confidence and enhanced dental health. However, there is still maintenance required to ensure that your dental implants last for as long as possible.
Neglecting proper care of your dental implants can result in two main problems:
1. Mucositis: the inflammation of the gums
2. Peri-implantitis: inflammation around the implant with loss of bone. This can be compared to periodontitis and can lead to the break down of your jaw bone.
Here are a few tips to help you maximize the lifespan of your implants:
1. Maintain regular dental visits every three to six months to receive routine examinations of your implants, particularly for Mucositis and peri-implantitis.
2. Carefully clean your mouth as you normally do by brushing twice each day, flossing every night, and using mouthwash regularly.
3. Stop smoking immediately, as smoking is one of the greatest risk factors for implant-related problems, according to Colgate.
If you follow these guidelines, you should enjoy your dental implants for a very long time and smile with confidence whenever you please.
If you have any questions about your dental implant care or if you would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact our team or make an appointment. Our incredible staff will give you the best dental care possible.