Many of us enjoy the celebrations that come with another holiday. However, it’s our job as your dentist to explain the risks that are associated with different types of candy. (Hopefully we don’t take too much fun out of the day.)
The great team at Invisalign has provided us with a fantastic graphic that highlights the best and worst candies for your teeth. Take a look and make plans that ensure that your teeth don’t suffer damage because of holiday festivities.
1. Taffy, caramel, and candies with coconuts and nuts are the worst for your teeth, as they stick in the grooves of your teeth and provide bacteria with plenty of sugar to snack on for a long time. These bacteria are not kind to your teeth and release dangerous acid as they enjoy their meal.
2. Lollipops and jawbreakers take a long time to dissolve, resulting in the same problems that are associated with taffy, caramel and candies with nuts.
3. Sour candy is naturally acidic, which is bad for your teeth because it breaks down your enamel, which is a major problem for your oral health.
4. Chocolate is actually the best option for your Halloween celebrations. While chocolate contains sugar, it doesn’t stick to your teeth and is digested through your mouth fairly rapidly, thereby reducing the amount of damage to your teeth and gums.
5. If you want to be the best patient possible and stay away from food that hurts your teeth this Halloween, we recommend that you chew on a stick of sugar-free gum. Sugar-free gum contains xylitol, and bacteria can’t form plaque on xylitol, which is a major benefit. Your breath will also stay fresh, another benefit that makes sugar-free gum the best snack available tonight.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact our team or make an appointment and our incredible staff will give you the best dental care possible.