We all know that Halloween is one of the best days for kids in the entire year. Our children dress in fun costumes and go door-to-door acquiring a large amount of free candy. But while this is a great experience from the eyes of your child, it could have problematic impacts if you don’t lay out a few guidelines as Halloween arises.
Candy is harmful to our teeth due to its high sugar content, which enables bacteria to thrive and produce acid as a byproduct, which breaks down the enamel in our teeth and leads to dental decay and potentially, gum disease. However, some candies are better for our teeth than others. According to the American Dental Association and the Forsyth Dental Center, sticky candies, such as caramel, actually are processed more quickly than foods like crackers, dried fruit, and breads, which means that the acid doesn’t sit around as long to attack your child’s teeth.
Although you may not want to completely deprive your kids of the Halloween experience, which may make them crave candy even more, it might be wise to have them pick out their 10 or 15 favorite pieces and donate the rest to a food shelf. Another key piece of advice is to limit the amount of time your child has candy in his or her mouth. Sucking on a candy or lollipop over a long period of time produces a consistent flow of sugar into your child’s mouth, while a small piece of chocolate can be consumed quickly and processed through our bodies without as much damage to our teeth.
It’s also smart to have your child rinse their mouth with water after consuming Halloween candy. Water has a neutral pH of 7.0 and can reduce the amount of free-floating sugar around your kid’s teeth.
If you have any questions about your child’s dental health or if you would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact our team or make an appointment. Our incredible staff will give you the best dental care possible.